Focus management & consistency
- Focus must be deliberately and consistently placed at the
- top of new page content or
- top of the HTML page
- Pick one or the other and consistently follow that pattern
- DO NOT place focus on the first input on page load
How does dynamic
aria-live content work?
- The screenreader expects content within an element with a
aria-live="polite"attribute to change
- By default, only the content that has changed will be read
- To force the screenreader to read all contents even if it did not change within the element, add
- Rarely must you use
aria-live="assertive"as it will override every other message from the screenreader
- By default an element using
This is one example of a dynamic content region. It is similar to the carousel example.
- It is not the only way to build a dynamic region, but it meets all the critieria:
- New content is announced
- Focus is consistently placed at the top of the content
NATO alphabet experience
The NATO alphabet is the most widely used radiotelephone spelling alphabet.
To create the code, a series of international agencies assigned 26 code words acrophonically to the letters of the English alphabet.
This is the best NATO letter.